Paying your rent


We use the rent and service charges we receive to provide services and carry out improvements to your home and estate. That's why it’s important you keep your payments up to date.

Please don’t forget that your rent needs to be paid in advance. This means that you should be paying your rent at the start of each week you’re in your home, not the end.

If you pay fortnightly or monthly, you should be paying at the start of these periods.

Not paying in advance yet or struggling to pay your rent? Please contact us as soon as possible.

We can set up a plan to get you paying your rent in advance and give you advice if you’re worried about your rent.

There’s also lots of advice about managing your money and dealing with debt on our website on the advice and support pages.

If you want help getting to grips with your finances, download our free guide on our website : Managing your money.


Universal Credit

With Universal Credit being introduced across the country (for working age people) more of residents will be responsible for making their own rent payments as they move onto this new benefit. Universal Credit will include a payment for your housing costs and it will be your responsibility to pay this money to us.

When you move to Universal Credit there will typically be a five week wait for payment and you will only receive payments on a monthly basis from then on. If you are currently in receipt of Housing Benefit you may want to consider making small regular payments onto your rent account now to build a credit balance to help you manage your finances when you move over to Universal Credit.

If you would like to consider this please contact your Income Recovery Officer to discuss it.

Remember your rent is due every week in advance. If you prefer to pay monthly in advance, ask our Income Recovery team to agree this


Ways to Pay

You can pay by:

Direct Debit. The easiest way to make a payment automatically from your bank or building society account so you don't have to remember to send the cheque or visit the Post Office. Request setting up a Direct Debit

Debit or Credit Card. Call our Contact Centre to pay over the phone with your Debit or Credit card. We accept:

  • Mastercard
  • Maestro
  • Visa/Visa Electron
  • Solo

Online. You can pay through your My Spectrum account by logging on and clicking on ‘Make a Payment’ and following the instructions through Worldpay. You’ll need a valid credit or debit card to make a payment.

Internet banking. If you currently manage your bank account using Internet Banking and would like to set up a regular payment from your account to pay your rent, please make payments to:

Sovereign Housing Association
Account Number:
Sort Code:
You must quote your tenancy number on any payments

Giro card. Pay by cash or cheque with your Giro payment card at any Post Office or retailer displaying the Payzone sign. Find your nearest Payzone

If you need a rent payment card, please call our Contact Centre and they will arrange for one to be sent to you.

Cheque. Send a cheque made out to Sovereign Housing Association to Spectrum House, Grange Road, Christchurch BH23 4GE. Remember to write your tenancy number and address on the back.


Housing Benefit

Claiming Housing Benefit is your responsibility. Chasing claims and liaising with the Local Authority is also your responsibility. You should:

  • Complete a claim form and send it to your Housing Benefit office, stating how much rent (and service charges, if applicable) you need to pay. Ask them for a receipt
  • Read any correspondence from them and answer requests for information promptly. Otherwise your claim could be cancelled
  • Always keep us informed about the progress of new or existing claims
  • Tell the Housing Benefit office about any changes in your circumstances that may affect your benefits.


Where can I go for help?

If you need help and advice, our tenancy support advisors may be able to help you by making sure you get the benefits to which you’re entitled. This may be able to be done over the phone, or we could arrange to come and see you at home.

If you are struggling to pay your rent or in financial difficulty, these organisations may be able to assist you.


If you need help or advice or any of the above topics, please contact us









  • Spectrum House, Grange Road,
    Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 4GE
  • 0300 777 7837
  • contact@sovereign.org.uk
Great homes • Strong communites • Residents at the Heart